Welcome to Year 5. Our teacher is Mrs. Aslett. We will also be taught some of the time by Mr. Saxilby. Our Teaching Assistant is Mrs. Lovely.
I really like the reading area in class because it looks nice and is comfy.
This term’s Topic is Time Traveller.
We will be learning all about changes to the local area from early history to more recent developments. Our trip to the Old Hall will add to this learning. As well as local changes we will also focus on personal changes that happen as we get older including puberty, how to stay healthy and how to keep safe. If you have any questions about how we will deliver this area of learning, please come and speak to Mrs Aslett.
We will explore how artists capture the human face and develop portrait skills using different art materials. We have already started looking at the artist Paul Klee and have used his work to inspire our own self-portraits.
In RE we will be looking at different creation stories and comparing how some world religions explain the beginning of the Earth. We will also look at how different religions believe we should treat the world and why.
What would happen if the clock struck 13? In ‘Tom’s Midnight Garden’, he travels to the past. What an adventure! We will be doing some writing around this idea in English as well as looking at our own life stories with some autobiographies.
Tick, tock, tick tock… the hands on the clock never stop!
Y5 PE days are Mon and Thurs. Now the weather is warming up we are hoping to go outside so please send your child with full kit including trainers.
Y5 have a spelling and times table text every Friday as well as having their reading diaries checked most days.
Information and reminders
- We have PE with Mrs Anderson on Monday.
- Spellings are given out at the start of the term and there will be weekly tests on a Friday.
- Home learning is sent out at the beginning of term and can be brought in at any point throughout the term. We would like a minimum of one piece per term.
- Children need to regularly practice their multiplication tables. By the end of Year 5 we should know all their multiplication facts and also the matching division facts. There are some fantastic games online to help practice these.
- Reading tokens will be given to children who read 3 times. It is important that we try to read every night.